Saving Weeks by Taking a Week Off
10 Mar 2014
I am working quite hard on a new game, which I will announce some time in the next weeks. It’s nothing really innovative, but it may be the first game I bring to an end (hopefully).
The last week I took a vacation with my family in Berlin. Originally I though that it would be a “lost” week, in the sense that I would not get anything done and it would push back my schedule by a week. So I planed the week with 0% availability, in my nifty planing tool.
I honestly wanted to take the week off, so the only electric device I packed was my phone. On the train ride to Berlin, I decided to take it even a step further, I decided to not think about any work while in Berlin. No engine design, no art concepts and style or work scheduling. I even did not read the books I packed, I just idled my brain where nothing was to do.
And it was awesome!
Transform to View Matrix
06 Feb 2014
How do you construct a view matrix from a transformation matrix?
If you search the web about how to build a view matrix you will find many
gluLookAt or a custom look at implementation, maybe even how
to setup a FPS camera. These all come in handy when
you setup a scene ad hoc, but the general case, when you already have a camera
that has a transformation matrix is seldom discussed. After I pieced this
information together, I want to share it with you.
The general case is quite simple, to get the view matrix (V) from the transformation matrix (T), all you need to do is take the inverse.
But computing the inverse of a 4x4 matrix is not much fun and definitely quite computationally expensive.
But if you remember what the transformation matrix contains and how you compute a view matrix through the look at function. You will see an interesting correlation.
Redesign with Bootstrap
17 Nov 2013
This website just got a lifting. With the help of Bootstrap the site looks spiffy and the effort to get it work was about 15 minutes. This is the fastest redesign to date.
The design is based on the Narrow Jumbotron. Which was easy a quite easy conversion. I dropped the twitter, github and RSS links at the top.